Wednesday 19 May 2010

Down.

Recently I have rekindled my love for Down.

I am a massive fan of this groove laden sort of rock music. Being a hardcore fan primarily it may surprise some people that I like this sort of rock.

Down manage to blend both groove and melody with power and heaviness to create a sound that I absolutely love.

Where the love for Down begins is with their iconic front man Phil Anselmo.
Anselmo has a stage presence that is nothing short of menacing. He prowls the stage commanding his band like troops and challenging the crowd with his eyes alone. Anselmo had a lot of problems with Pantera what with drugs and falling out with Dimebag Darrel. He never got to apologise to Dime, who as well as being a band mate was also a very good friend. This loss affected Anselmo deeply.

His performances with Down show the true power of Anselmo as a songwriter principally and a frontman secondly. He writes lyrics that have real thought and meaning, yet are delivered with true power and aggression.

What I find about Down is that they harness a sense of power. The riffs and vocals ooze control from the speakers. When you watch a live video of the band, they seem to be effortlessly churning out these huge grooves like they were born to do it.

Down are a band who I would love to see in the near future. With rumours of another album coming out I may yet get the opportunity.

I shall leave you, my dear readers, with a taste of Down in full flight. A set I would love to be able to time travel to and watch for myself.

peace.x



No comments:

Post a Comment